Thursday, May 17, 2012

Fried Goat Cheese



Hello! Hope you've been enjoying the recipes I've posted so far... Here's another delicious one from the spring issue of Delight Gluten-Free Magazine!

Ingredients

10 ounces goat cheese
1/3 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour 
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
1 ¼ cups gluten-free bread crumbs
¼ cup honey
¼ teaspoon hot pepper flakes, finely crushed
Vegetable oil, for frying

Preparation

Cut the goat cheese into 16 even pieces. Roll into 1-inch sized balls. Place on a baking sheet covered with waxed paper and freeze for 20 minutes. Combine gluten-free flour and salt in a shallow bowl. Place egg and water mixture in another bowl, and the gluten-free bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Set aside. Stir together honey and hot pepper flakes- set aside. In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375 degrees F. Once the cheese is out of the freezer and is no longer sticky, roll the balls into the flour mixture and shake off excess. Dip into the egg mixture, and then coat evenly in the breadcrumbs. Working in batches, gently drop the coated goat cheese balls into the hot vegetable oil. Fry each ball for about 2 minutes, turning over once after 1 minute. The balls should be golden brown. Remove the balls with a slotted spoon, drain, and place on a plate with paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Once all of the balls have been fried, place on a serving plate and drizzle the spicy honey mixture over the goat cheese. Serve immediately with toothpicks.

11 comments:

  1. These sound and LOOK awesome! Just added goat cheese to the grocery list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picture is beautiful! Your drizzle sounds fab! My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-fridays-recipe-party-2/
    Also be sure to link up your blog on our Gluten Free Bloggers directory. You can reach the directory by clicking the "glutenfree bloggers" tab on our blog! Thanks, Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food looks delicious in the picture. I love goat cheese and I think I will love and cook this recipe. This is another new recipe for my gluten-free dieter friends, I'm sure they will really love this. I always put effort on making something special for them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks divine - I need to have a go at making this! Fab log by the way.

    I'm just getting started, let me know if you have any tips xx

    @GFreeGastro

    https://www.facebook.com/GlutenFreeGastronomy

    http://gluten-free-gastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds amazing!!! How can I NOT make this and eat them all, right in the middle of the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of wonderful recipes, I'll have to go back and pick all my favorites! You have done a great job inspiring me to try new things and tastes, thank you.To know about gluten free cookbooks please visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so amazing! :) I love how you've added a little spice to the recipe to offset the sweet from the honey and is complimented by the goat cheese

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! I have been gluten free all my life (diagnosed when I was a baby and I just turned 50 this year!) The goat cheese & honey combo sound delicious, so I look forward to trying this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I just drooled on my key board! I love love love goat cheese. Goat cheese + honey sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe sounds delicious and yummy. I like goat cheese because it taste nice and it is nutritious. Where can I get the all-purpose gluten-free flour, kosher salt and hot pepper flakes? I just hope that these are available in the local grocery store. If not, then I will look for alternative ingredients.

    ReplyDelete