Friday, September 20, 2013

Coconutty Owl Sandwiches


So... I think it's time for a quick update on my life. As you probably know, I took a break from blogging for about a year. Naturally, a lot can happen during that time. I transferred to a new school, and I am now pursuing a degree in graphic design. It's pretty exciting! In other news, I went through a series of allergy tests, which was a less exciting experience. That is, until I got my results back! As it turns out, I am not allergic to peanuts nor tree nuts. Also, I have been gradually incorporating corn into my diet, and so far so good! However, I am still gluten-free and my diet is mostly plant-based. With that said, I have been able to enjoy PB&J sandwiches again!

If there is one thing to love about the fall season, is being able to get crafty with food. From sweets to snacks, the opportunities are endless! This is definitely the case when you have all sorts of fun cookie cutters in your cabinets. As my tea was brewing this morning, I decided to make little PB&J owls and have some fresh strawberries on the side. It was quite satisfying, and I got to try the new Creamy Coconut & Peanut Spread from Earth Balance. If you are allergic to nuts, you can always substitute peanut butter for some delicious SunButter (my favorite nut-free alternative). Here's a cute idea for an easy autumn-inspired snack!

Coconutty Owl Sandwiches
Yield: 1 serving
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free

2 slices gluten-free bread
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon grape jelly
¼ teaspoon unsweetened shredded coconut, for garnish

Place bread slices on a plate and cut out fun shapes with a cookie cutter. Evenly distribute nut butter and grape jelly, layering the sandwiches to your liking. Sprinkle shredded coconut for garnish... Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment