Monday, August 29, 2011

Fig Scones


Figs are at season's peak and I thought I would share something sweet! Eating figs has many health benefits, including increased fiber, calcium, and potassium intake. These are also know for aiding people in their weight loss efforts. Aside from being healthy, figs are an excellent addition to recipes for baked goods. After reading about them over the weekend, I went ahead and bought 2 lbs of figs for this week's recipes. My first is gluten-free scones which I started off by using a recipe from King Arthur Flour. If you haven't worked with King Arthur Flour mixes, I strongly urge you to try them. Now here's why... All of the recipes I've made with these flours have stayed fresh longer than any I've made with other flours. King Arthur Flour gluten-free mixes have a wonderful taste too, and when I say wonderful I mean they don't taste like they are gluten-free (even though they are). Hope you enjoy these delicious scones and remember to come back to see what other recipes I have in store!



Ingredients:

 2 Cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
¼ Cup Sugar
 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
½ Tsp. Xanthan Gum
½ Tsp. Salt
¼ Tsp. Nutmeg
½ Cup Butter
 7 Fresh Black Mission Figs
 2 Large Eggs
⅓ Cup Milk
 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a scone pan (or 9" pie pan) with cooking spray to prevent sticking. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and nutmeg. Add butter while it is still cold and mix until crumbly. Rinse, cube, and add figs into the mixture. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, milk and vanilla extract until frothy. Combine with other mixture and whisk thoroughly, breaking figs into smaller pieces. Pour evenly into a scone pan (or pie pan) and sprinkle some more sugar on top (optional). Place in the oven for approximately 25 minutes. If baked in a pie pan, slice into 8 pieces. Serve with butter or topping of preference... Enjoy!

Makes 8 Scones.

Note: I used stevia instead of sugar and fat free butter and milk to make the recipe healthier. You may choose to substitute those ingredients if that is what you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment